The History of the Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce
The Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce traces its origin to the year 1879 when the first civic business organization – the Utica Mercantile and Manufacturing Association was formed. It later became the Utica Men’s Exchange and on September 2, 1896, was incorporated as the Chamber of Commerce.
On June 19, 1973, by action of the membership, the Chamber adopted an area approach to community development and changed its name to The Mohawk Valley Association for Progress. On July 14, 1977, the membership again changed the name of the organization to The Chamber of Commerce of the Greater Utica Area, Inc.
Then on October 26, 1983, the name was changed to the Utica Area Chamber of Commerce, Inc., changed once again on March 9, 1999, to The Mohawk Valley Chamber of Commerce, and then, in December of 2013, the name was changed to our current name, the Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce.
According to a directory in 1896, the Chamber’s purpose was “to foster the present business institutions of the city, induce new enterprises to locate in or near the city, and to promote the general welfare of Utica."
Today’s Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit organization comprised of business and business-oriented members. The primary function of the Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce is to serve as one unified voice advocating for a prosperous business climate in the Utica Area and New York State.
The area's economic well-being is related directly to the strength of its Chamber. A strong community must have a strong chamber of commerce. That is why the Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce strives to have major impact on business, income and growth of not only the immediate Utica area, but also the entire region.